Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Rear Window

In my opinion the movie Rear Window works great as an translation of the original work that its based off of. Most of the core aspects of the work are kept in the movie, but Hitchcock also as adds his own spin to the story and gives it a better feeling of suspense as well as an actual visual of what Hal or L.B. is seeing, and what hes doing about it. The movie is able to create the darkness of the story outside of readers heads and the use of angles and shots also helps to compliment the story. Overall the movie does a great job translating the story from the page to the screen.

2 comments:

  1. A nice contemplation, Patrick. But let's probe it a little more. Why does it do a "great job"? What are the angles and shots --what kind of editing does he do? (continuity, montage?) How does that help the film? I invite both you and any of your colleagues to add to this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Patrick that the story translated over nicely into a film. While reading the story I naturally made a picture up in my head. I was surprised when seeing the movie how much my thoughts resembled it. I believe this is a result of good literature from Woolrich. The shots in this film range from extremely long times, to short. To me this is probably Hitchcock showing off a bit. I also noticed that sound effects were very important, every sound effect heard had a picture, detail to go along with it, they seemed significant. Normally I feel sound effects are more of background sounds, not having as much significance.

    ReplyDelete